How to Make a Minecraft Grass Block Cake

Minecraft has become a HUGE deal in our house, between my boys and my husband. It’s non-stop talk about Minecraft, especially with my oldest; so of course, it makes sense that Minecraft was incorporated into his birthday. When he requested a grass block cake, I mulled it over for a bit, figuring out the best way to make this cake.Minecraft-Grass-Block-Cake-Tutorial It was a fun process and even more fun to see the smile on his face when it was all said and done.Celebrating-with-a-Minecraft-birthday-cake

Supplies You’ll Need for a Minecraft Grass Block Cake

2 Cake Mixes (I went the easy route with this one)
Batch of green Buttercream Icing (doubled)
Batch of Chocolate Buttercream Icing
Peanut Butter Oreos
Wilton Grass Tip (Tip 233)
1 Pastry bag and Coupler
Square Cake Pan
Cake Board w/ white freezer paper
Any other decorations desired

The first step is to bake 2 square cakes; Jacob wanted chocolate, so I picked up 2 chocolate cake mixes to make the process easier. The grass block should be square-shaped, so be sure to have a square cake pan on hand. While the cakes are baking, it’s a good time to mix up the icing.  I used Wilton’s recipes for buttercream icing and chocolate buttercream icing (recipes linked above); this icing is so delicious. The regular buttercream icing needs to be green, so add enough green food color until satisfied with the shade you have. The secret to making the chocolate buttercream icing look even more like dirt and mud is to crush up Peanut Butter Oreos and mix in with the icing. Crush-peanut-butter-Oreos-and-mix-with-buttercream-icingCombined, this makes the perfect texture for the bottom of the grass block.

When cakes have cooled, place them on a cake board that’s been wrapped in white freezer paper. Spread a portion of the green buttercream icing on top of one cake. Then sandwich the two cakes together. Frost-between-top-and-bottom-layers-of-cakeWork your way around the sides of the cake, spreading the chocolate buttercream “dirt” icing. It’s ok if it looks a little messy, just makes for a more authentic look to your grass block.Frost-around-sides-of-cake-with-Oreo-dirt-buttercream-icing

Finally, it’s time to add the grass with the rest of the green buttercream icing. Make sure your icing is thin enough to easily squeeze through the grass tip, or it will be very difficult indeed (don’t ask me how I know this). The Wilton website gives a great tutorial for how to create the grass, but basically, just squeeze the pastry bag to create your grass and then pull up or away. Add-grass-to-top-of-Minecraft-grass-block-cakeIt works like a charm to create beautiful patches of green grass for the top of the grass block cake. This part of the process is probably what will take the longest, but it’s so worth it when you’re done.Minecraft-Birthday-Cake

When finished, decorate with candles or whatever your heart desires. Minecraft-Grass-Block-Birthday-CakeThis is such an easy cake to make, and any Minecraft lovers will definitely dig it (no pun intended).Jacob-excited-for-his-Minecraft-cake

Do your kids love Minecraft? Have you made any special Minecraft creations for them?

Mel Lockcuff

Mel is a wife and homeschool mom to 2 boys, as well as a lifestyle and travel blogger residing in Northwest Arkansas. Mel is also the founder of MamaBuzz Media. You can find Mel on Google+, Facebook, and Twitter @MamaBuzz, or contact her via email at info@mamabzz.com.

Latest posts by Mel Lockcuff (see all)

Comments

1. 6

says

I found you on Pinterest. This is a great idea (LOVE the Oreo idea!) My husband is definitely a huge Minecraft geek and Oreos are his favorite cookie… so this is an obvious choice! His birthday is in three weeks too, so perrrfect timing!
    Christie recently posted..Tan!My Profile

• 7

says

Oh Christie, you’ll have to let me know how it turns out! So glad you stopped by. My son absolutely loved this, and it was fun to make too.:)

• 9

says

Thank you, Heather! You’ll have to let me know how it turns out if you make it. It was really fun to make. And my kids and husband love Minecraft too…. so much….:)

2. 10

Aly says

I completed my grass block cake last night! Turned out better than expected (I suck at baking ;)) and our son loves it! Can’t wait to see what the guests at his party think today! Thank you for the awesome idea! Love your blog!

• 11

says

Aly, I’m so glad it turned out well! That is awesome! I’m so glad he loves it! You are so welcome; thank you so much for letting me know. It means the world when a reader comes back and lets me know how a project or recipe turned out.:)

3. 12

Mindy says

My son’s birthday is in October, so I usually do a Halloween themed party. This year he broke it to me that he really wanted a Minecraft birthday. I told him to get busy finding me a cake to make and he found this one. I was SO relieved that I don’t have to be a master baker to pull it off. YAY!

• 13

says

Mindy, thank you! That means the world! I love creating things that others can easily pull off. So fun. You’ll have to let me know how it turns out! Happy Birthday to him in advance.:)

4. 14

Michele says

Love this idea, and for all my craftiness, cakes are not my thing…this I think I can do…and I got a pack of the minecraft fingurines to put on top…perfect…one question, you said two box mixes, what size was your pan? I got a 10×10 so picked up up two, hoping that is enough, but wasn’t sure since I saw a 8″ square pan there and a 12″.

• 15

says

Hey Michele, thank you! I used 10×10 pans, which I was able to get in the cake decorating section at Michaels. They’re Wilton brand if that helps.:) You’ll have to let me know how it turns out.

5. 16

Lara says

Thank you for posting this!! My almost 9 year old wants a minecraft cake for his birthday, and I was worried there would be no way to make it look good. Your idea to put Oreos in the icing is fantastic!

6. 18

says

My baby is turning 23, soon, and still has not outgrown an attraction to minecraft. Think I’ll do this for him. :)
    <3 K
    P.S. Found you at AWB (not) LinkUp! Ha! :) Don't know what happened there, but, hey, we didn't let it get to us! :)

7. 28

Karly says

Thank you for the fantastic idea! My son’s 11th birthday is this Friday and I have been trying to figure out what sort of cake to make him this year. A Minecraft cake will be a huge hit!

8. 30

Nicole says

Love the look of your Minecraft cake. I would really like to try it, but we have a friend coming to our party who has a peanut allergy. Would just using the chocolate parts of regular Oreos work? Or is there any alternative that might also help the icing look more like dirt?

Thanks!

Nicole

• 31

says

Nicole, thank you! The Oreos are darker, so that should be fine, as long as Oreos don’t have any peanut remnants in them; I’d for sure check the package to make sure. But yeah, they would give a good dirt look.

• 32

Nicole says

Thank you for responding to my comment. I ended up using chocolate Oreos (checked the package) and they worked great! The cake turned out perfect and I am no baker : )

9. 34

Erica Crawford says

I am making this cake for my nephew’s 9th birthday. It was either Minecraft or Lego, and I thought Minecraft would be easier just didn’t have a recipe. Found this one and looked easy enough. Hope I make it as good as it looks! Thank you!

• 35

says

Erica, I hope you enjoy! And I hope it turns out well; the one thing I loved about this was that it was fairly simple to make and didn’t take a ton of time. He will love it!

10. 36

says

Do you think store bought buttercream icing would work? Or regular icing (even fluffed?) My kids don’t like buttercream but the idea is adorable!

• 37

says

Christine, I don’t see why not! I think it would work just fine. As long as it has a good consistency to form the grass on top. And thick enough to stay on the sides of the cake without dripping down.

11. 42

Eda says

Fantastic cake! I’m going to try this for my sons 8th birthday in a couple of weeks. I’m not great at decorating cakes but I’m going to give it a shot. I don’t think we have Peanut Butter Oreos here in the UK but I’m sure I can find something similar. We have the normal Oreos – do you think these will work?

• 43

says

Eda, thank you! And I’m so excited you’re going to try making it; the one thing I truly love about this cake is that anyone can make it. You’ll do great.

Yes, normal Oreos should work just fine. I believe I have another reader who used normal Oreos too, and she came back and said it turned out great. Good luck! So excited to hear how it goes. Happy Birthday to him!

12. 46

LaUrie says

Perfect!!! This would be great for a golfer too, or for a football team… Lots of variations. But yes, in our house it would be Minecraft. :)

13. 50

KRISTA says

Been searching for HOURS for a Minecraft cake “I” could feasibly make without wanting to tear out my hear over the intricate details involved. THIS … THIS is PERFECT.

14. 54

says

That is a awesome design for the cake at first i though it was really green grass and dirt but it turns out i was wrong after a while it is frosting and fudge dark chocolate for the bottom of the plats and it turns out to be a good looking cake so it awesome i am speech less because it was an awesome art peace it is the best art peace i have ever seen in my life it is the best peace of art work you are an artist.How did you do it?????????

Trackbacks