Valentine’s Day is almost here, and these little treats are the perfect homemade gift and easy to make too. Growing up, my dad loved his chocolate covered cherries, especially at Christmas time. We’d get him a box every single year, and if we didn’t, he’d buy his own. One year, I made him a batch of homemade; but this year, I decided to make some for Valentine’s Day instead.
These chocolate covered cherries are filled with a creamy white filling and, of course, Maraschino cherries. I used a candy mold purchased from Amazon. I also used Ghirardelli Dark Melting Wafers, which I found at our grocery store. Below you’ll find a printable recipe. Enjoy!
- Maraschino cherries
- 1 pkg. Ghirardelli Dark Melting Wafers
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1+ tbsp. milk
- The first step is to make the creamy white filling for the chocolate covered cherries. Start by melting butter, then add in vanilla and almond extract. Mix in powdered sugar and milk, starting with 1 tbsp. milk and adding more as needed to get filling to just a slightly thicker consistency. You want the filling to be somewhat thin but thick enough to not make a complete mess when you go to fill the candy mold.
- Melt the chocolate according to package directions. I found it helpful, at this point, to then add my chocolate to a decorating bottle; I did the same with the creamy filling.
- Start by adding a bit of chocolate to the bottom of your candy mold. Then add a whole cherry or piece of a cherry, depending on the size of your candy mold. Add a bit of the white creamy filling, probably about ½-1 tsp. Then finish off with the melted chocolate, surrounding the cherry and creamy filling.
- Once all candy sections are filled, place candy mold in freezer for 5-10 minutes or until candy is set. Pop out of candy mold and serve. Enjoy!
Latest posts by Mel Lockcuff (see all)
- Cheesy Baked Frittata with Ham, Peppers, and Tomatoes - September 1, 2015
- It’s the Little Things: Plan a Backyard Picnic - August 28, 2015
- Through the Windows of the Old Dairy Barn - August 27, 2015